Monday, July 1, 2019

Even more work on the F-623 corner ribs - 5 hours

I was in a bit more of a groove today following yesterdays build session. I need to make the Aft F-623A attach straps. Like the forward strap I cut a piece of thin cardboard and used some masking tape to make a template.

I then could use the template to verify the hole edge clearances. Initial fit looks really good.

I then used the cardboard template to cut some 0.032” material to size. I then started to trim the aft end to clear the rib and was able to make initial marks of the rivet holes to reconfirm proper edge distances.

Next I clamped the strap to the assembly and committed to the aft hole.

Once that was done, I checked fit again clamped one more time and finished drilling the other holes. Now that I have the correct holes, I now have a solid strap piece with an abundance of edge distance.....however the fit in the rib is a bit too tight. At this time, I used that piece to make the left strap.

Being that I drilled the rivet holes, now there is no guesswork as to my edge distances and I could easy mark them and work the fit. And with a little time on the sanding station, files and 3M wheel I was finished with the Aft F-623A attach straps.



Next I clecoed on the side skins and opened up the hole in the skins for the steps to #30. Using a long #40 drill bit I can see the center line of the step tube. I just have to figure out how to scallop the F-623 corner ribs...hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment