Friday, December 28, 2018

Assembled control sticks and fabricated F-704M stiffner - 5 hours

Now that the touch-up paint is dry I assembled the control sticks. I used my Aeroshell 22 synthetic grease on the bushings/control pivots. Movement is excellent.


Next step that the plans have you do is install the nutplates on the top of the center section. I have opted long ago the clean and prime all of the nutplates. Yes, this is a tedious task, but its what I have chosen based on my reading. I cleaned and primed 20 K1000-08 nut plates. While the primer was drying, I decided to fabricate the F-704M stiffeners. I cut the angles to approximate size and then ground the edges to exactly 4 5/8". This is fairly critical as they stiffeners sit very tight in the center section as I have found. 

I then marked center lines on the pieces so I could line up the holes. I then used masking tape on the center section to ensure that the stiffener would be centered in the web.

Next I had lined everything up and clamped the pieces to the web. I then carefully drilled a pilot hole in the bottom most piece. I disassembled the piece and checked my pilot hole for correct dimensions and then fished drilling on the drill press. Then I reassembled so I could match drill the other holes.

I repeated the process for the top most hole, checking again for correct dimensions and alignment. Drilling again on the drill press before re-assembly.

All the rest of the holes were drilled on the drill press.

Probably the most time consuming process but it is perfect. Next step I fitted the F-782B & 783B pieces and match drilled to the center section.
 
I then completed the nutplate holes on the F-704M stiffeners.



 




No comments:

Post a Comment