Monday, September 5, 2016

Prep'd Flap skins for priming - 6 hours

Bit of a long day for the flaps. I had to debur the flap skins. Once that was done, I scuffed with scotchbrite. Next step after that was to dimple all the holes. Mindless work but sitting in front of Netflix while doing it passes time easily. I was sure to edge roll the flap skin where it mates with the bottom skin before dimpling.

 
Once all was ready, I took the pieces outside, wiped everything down with wax and grease remover, MEK and then primed. I decided not to acid etch these as it is quite a bunch of work and since the flaps are easily replaceable if needed I took a chance.
Later that evening after the primer had a few hours to dry on the skin, I mixed up some 3m 2216 structural epoxy to use as a liquid shim between the flap ribs/rear spar. I didn't need much of a shim at all (about 0.010") so the liquid shim will be just fine.

It works pretty good as it sets up incredibly well after about 8 hours ....however, one thing I didn't count on in its amazing ability to destroy a cleco.

No comments:

Post a Comment