Monday, September 5, 2016

Began assembling Aileron brackets - 2 hours

I gathered up the nerve to assemble the aileron brackets. I was dreading this step as I find driving the bigger, longer rivets at bit of a pain (more about the difficulty in drilling and removing rivets out of really thick material).

Well....I decided to jump in. Surprisingly everything when extremely well. First step was to set the AN426 flush rivets using the pneumatic squeezer.


Next I needed to set the AN470AD-11 rivets. Now this is where I was getting nervous. I find setting the AD470 rivets a bit more tough with squeezer as it is a tad tricky to ensure you are dead straight with the dies. (Dead straight results in great rivets....while if you are slightly off, it increases changes of a slightly slumped rivet head). It turns out that my squeezer just did not have enough power to set those AD4-11 rivets. So I pulled out my alligator squeezer. After some test pieces....Bam! Turns out it does an amazing job!



Since a few folks seem to have some questions on how the rivets are oriented on the hinge brackets, here is a few views of how I did mine.






No comments:

Post a Comment