Saturday, January 30, 2016

Finished drilling left wing skin and fitted leading edge - 5 hours



I really wanted to finish the match drilling of the wings skins today. I put my head down and got it done. Since I only have 325 clecos I had to take the skins off the right wing and use all of those clecos for the left wing. I spent a lot of time taking messing with the wings, taking them off the stand, putting them back on the stand, checking level, checking twist, adjusting, clamping. The good news is that I am becoming a master at it.
I managed to finish the match drilling of the left wing skins in a matter of a couple of hours.


 
I created a template to help mark out the tie down bar. Then, I removed the clecos for the bottom skins. I really took a good look at the structure. Lots of metal shavings inside...I know straight away that I should remove the top skins as well. The metal shavings like to get into the matting surface between the skins and the rear spar. I think it best to get all the shavings out, so I uncleco'd the skins, wiped the left wings skins and wing skeleton. Then I cleco'd the top skins back on the wing. A very long and tedious process....but it's the right thing to do.
Did I mention the pneumatic cleco gun is amazing?
I was finally ready to put the left leading edge onto the assembly. It slipped on very nicely and just needed a tad bit of pressure to get the holes to line up for cleco's. Once the clecos where in....I stood back and admired the fit. Well done Vans, Well Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment