Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Removed skin ripple and started drilling the longeons - 8 hours

So I started in again on trying to fit these side skins. Not much helpful information on the forums on how to solve this issue. I just decided to spend the hours figuring it out. What I did learn was everyone seems to cleco the F-704 and F-705 bulkheads first. So that's what I did.
I then spent the next few hours trying to get the aft end of the skins sorted. Firstly I decided to try to get the left conical bend a tad tighter. Comparing the two skins side by side, I see the left didn't quite match the right side...Maybe that will remove some ripple. Still no crack so we are good!

I finally was able to get the side skins on!!!I'll spare you the long winded story but what solved it for me was that I used a 4th sawhorse placed under the F-705 (rear spar bulkhead). This is something I did on the first skin fitment, and that's why it went so easy. However on subsequent fitting.....I took the sawhorse away to allow me to access the baggage floors. When I took it away, It seemed like it was unnecessary and it certainly didn't fit with the Vans instructions or pictures. As I found out today....Placing that 4th sawhorse made all the difference in the world. It makes lining up the aft holes in the skin sooo much easier.

We are just about there.

Just a bit of pressure with one hand pressing down on the aft fuse, I can get cleco's into the holes. I started clecoing the left side first, the right side. This time, that mysterious ripple in the side skin had nearly disappeared.

Once the fit looked good. I then removed the 4th saw horse to see what that would then do. Yup, the fit is still good. I have a good fit both sides.Next step I doubled checked the longeron fit and alignment. Looks really good. Nice and even on both sides for length. Spot on for the alignment with the top of the skin/angle (Well. bottom in the picture). Small footnote....I purposely left the longerons long on purpose. I would rather have too much material to work with than not enough. That's why I have more material than most build log pics.



Now to address the items that I skipped over in my haste to get those conical bends done. I fluted and drilled the arm rests.


After double checking all the fit again.....I began drilling the longerons starting at the aft end working forward. I alternated sides every few cleco's.










No comments:

Post a Comment