Monday, July 8, 2019

Started the Electric Aileron Trim - 2 hours


I was a bit reluctant to forge ahead on the centre section until I hear back from Van’s so I decided to move onto the electric aileron trim assembly.

The first step is to drill a couple of holes in the plastic to #10 for mounting holes. This seems relatively straight forward however experience in drilling the flap mounting blocks has taught me to go slow and be certain that everything is square.

Next the plans have you notch the top of the plastic. Turns out this isn’t exactly easy. I ended up figuring out by a lot of trial and error that 120 grit sandpaper wrapped around a drill bit on the drill press would allow me to “sand” a perfect notch into the plastic. The trick was to clamp a guide on the drill press base that would allow the drill bit to stay in one place and not have the piece wander.

It took some time but the result was nice.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment