Sunday, February 17, 2019

Measuring longerons - 3 hours


It was time to start on the longerons. These have been sitting up on the garage shelf for quite some time. They collected a lot of dust. I spent some time getting the garage ready, putting saw horse out and leveling the run to aid in accurate measuring. I cleaned up the ends of the longerons and then clamped them together and began marking out the dimensions. After a good discussion with a local builder he offered a few tips and suggestions, using the bottom skin and the aft canopy deck pieces as a guide. He mentioned that he had to trim a bit of the front of the longeron to fit the bulkhead which got me thinking about if I could get myself into hot water with edge distance issues (as was the case with the F-728/729 angles)

 I spend a few hours researching and reading. Before I did anything I decided to research the whole longeron process. I was most curious about if I could run into any potential edge distance issues, seems that most folks trim about ¼” off the front of their longerons. After all my reading I decided to give myself some extra material to play with (½” extra to be exact). So I erased all my marks and drew a new reference line that would give me ½” extra. I clamped a piece of oak on the new datum point and re-measured all the dimensions out. 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment