Sunday, July 3, 2016

Finished riveting the leading edge skin - 2 hours

My buddy Mike dropped by in the evening to lend a hand riveting the last few rivets that remain on the leading edge skin. These are a bit tricky to do by yourself (even though I managed to do it on the fuel tanks) it can be done by yourself, I just chose to get some help and make it easier.

Well.....what a pain the butt. Straight outta the gate we were batting 50% on the first few rivets. Had to drill some out and re shoot. One in particular was MURDER. Must have drilled it out 6 times. Well very frustrating. The rivet just did not want to sit flush. After much frustration we re grouped. I drilled it out to #30 and installed and oops rivet. After that order Mike had the gun a bit different and I held the bar a bit different, and we nailed every rivet after. Sheesh...it is true. Riveting is very much a feel and it takes a few to get it back again.

No comments:

Post a Comment