Thursday, October 16, 2014

Working away on the HS front spar... Third times a charm - 1.5 hours



Not a whole lot of time available to work on the plane tonight. So I jumped back to the horizontal stabilizer. I received the replacement HS-710 and HS-714 angles from Van's yesterday. (Grrrr..The third ones!!!) I hope I really nail it this time.
I carefully marked out the center lines on each side of the angle pieces. Then I countersunk the two center holes of each angle (Very much a pain to re-set the countersink cage after I changed it for the rudder counterweight)  I then cleco'd the front spar assembly back together and ensured that the assembly was straight. Everything was bang-on! It really helped when I filed the ends of the front spars where they met on the previous Friday. Now with the new angles...it all lined up. 




I used the drill press and matched drilled all the holes inboard of the bend lines with a #30 bit. Once complete I then rechecked the front spar assembly and confirmed that it was perfectly straight even when sitting vertically on the HS-714 angle. I can safely say that I did less than 1/32" difference between the two ends. I was pleased with the fit of the countersunk holes as well cause its really tough to get it to nest nice.




Third time's a charm!! Like my tool box... Ahh...I just have to laugh! Well...At least it's perfect.

Do I have a name for the plane now??? We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment